CIPFA Statistical Information Service
'Our survey said ....'
Increasingly the public services are looking to conduct surveys and gather information to inform policy development and decision taking. If you are looking to go down this route and conduct a survey of on any aspect of public services activity then CIPFA can help.
The CIPFA survey methodology is robust and well established. CIPFAStats are the leading independent source of comprehensive data about local government services and undertake more than 30 annual surveys of local authority operations, capturing data on activities from Education and Social Care through to Housing Services and Waste Management and publishing information at www.cipfastats.net.
Our team of analysts have expertise in all aspects of the survey process, including:
- Setting-up working groups of local authority practitioners and other experts
- Developing practical questionnaires that are ‘fit for purpose' including full notes of guidance
- Piloting questionnaires and running consultation exercises to ensure collectability of data
- Distributing questionnaires to our extensive range of council contacts and collecting data electronically
- Acting as a point of contact (helpdesk) for all queries
- Validation of data, querying with councils and estimating for missing information
- Full and informative reporting and analysis of data
CIPFA has a wealth of experience in the complete survey process. In addition to the CIPFAstats collections, we have also worked with a number of Central Government departments to assist in the formation of financial and performance related frameworks, including the development of questionnaires, undertaking of bespoke surveys and collation/analysis of results that have shaped policy decisions and led to service improvements.
So if you are planning to undertake a survey of local authority activity, or already undertake a collection and would like assistance in maintaining, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 3117 1840 to discuss how CIPFA can help you to achieve that goal.
CIPFAstats Datasets Browser
- Capital Expenditure and Treasury Management
- Council Tax Demands and Precepts
- Direct Service Organisations*
- External Funding*
- Finance and General Actuals
- Finance and General Estimates
- Income Statistics
- Local Authority Assets
- Local Government Comparative Statistics*
- Local Government Comparative Trends*
- Pension Funds
- PFI / PPP*
- Prudential Indicators*
- Rating Review Actuals
- Rating Review Estimates
- Revenue Collection
- Scottish Performance Indicators
- Support Services
* indicates publications that are no longer part of CIPFAstats survey range but historical data are still accessible